Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Prayers for TJ

Prayers for TJ.

Yet another young man fighting colon cancer needs our prayers.  TJ, I met last year at the Rear In Gear in Boston.  He had just had his liver surgery and courageously walked the 5K, he had the biggest team and raised the most money and has been an inspiration to so many.  This year, he was again at the race with his entire family, so many friends, and his new fiance and was, in October considered, "cancer free".  This week he had a CT scan and with it came the most dreaded and feared results...the cancer was back and he needs to go on chemo as soon as possible.  My heart aches for him, his family and his fiance.  He is getting married on January 26th.  The fact that another young man and family is going through this makes me mad, sad and it puts that pit back in my stomach. It reminds me of those long, bad days at MGH, the ones where I would be beside myself with worry as we waited for results and then we would get the news and be once again knocked down, our hopes shattered, our future so unknown.  I hate, hate, hate cancer and I hate that TJ and his family had a day like that this week.

Nothing gave me more comfort than knowing how many people were praying for us...and I felt as if the more people that prayed, the better we would be.  So if you are looking for someone to pray for, please pray for TJ. 

It's funny...to see people complain about a "bad day".  You know, your car doesn't start, you spill your coffee, traffic is bad, the weather, a flight delay, a bad cold...etc, etc.  I, as do so many people fighting cancer know a thing or two about a "bad day".  They are the days when you find out you or your loved one has cancer,  the day you learn the cancer is back, the day you find out the cancer has metastasized, the day the chemo stops working.  A bad day is when a doctor tells you there is nothing else they can do, and they send you to palliative care.  Bad days are when hospice comes to your house for the first time and you lie to your husband, telling him it is just a visiting nurse, that we still have hope and time, that love and prayers are enough, that its never too late for a miracle.  Bad days are when you learn how to administer morphine, and you slowly watch the love of your life slip away.  Bad days are when you bury your husband and your heart is being torn apart. 

I guess it is the "it" I was trying to explain before.  Where you just learn what really matters and why...and despite it all, all the bad days and heartache, "it" changes your life forever and and really is a lovely way to live.

Next time you have a "bad day"  think of TJ, and any other cancer patient you may know and say a little prayer for him.  And, THANK GOD for all you do have, nothing can help turn a bad day into a good day more than being grateful.

I pray, that TJ and his family have no more bad days for a long time.  I pray that the chemo works and they get through this next challenge, that they live well and long and happily ever after.  And, I never stop believing in the power of prayer and that miracles really can happen. 





1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    You never cease to amaze me for your love, compassion, empathy, goodness and faith. I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face like so many times when I read your blog and you write from your heart.
    For everything you have been through, you so easily could have "thrown in the towel" but no, you go on with your face towards the sun, Alec in your memory and Chase in your arms you go forth and greet everyday & everyone with a heartwarming smile that can light up the darkest day.

    You are my hero, and as always make me so proud to be your mom.

    Love you so much. oxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete