Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Tri-For-A-Cure 2014

Tri N' for a Cure.

Today I swam....biked...and ran in Tri-For-A-Cure, an all women's triathlon in beautiful Portland, Maine.  It was pretty awesome to see so many women gathered, trained and ready to go, each with their own story of how cancer has touched their lives.  The first wave of athletes are the "survivors" the women who have had cancer and either are cured or in remission.  I also think there should be a "survivor" group for women like me, because I am a survivor too.  I not only survived cancer,  but I survived LOSS, A BROKEN HEART...I survived life without HIM.  And just like those women who have been through hell and back, so have I.  And we persevered, came out stronger, wiser, full of gratitude, and grace.  

At one point I had to shake my head and laugh at myself.  And I don't know if I should be more ashamed about my lack of training or if I should be bragging.  To prepare for today, I took one spin class... last week. I did not swim, not once.  I have been running...a lot and fast.  But other than that I did nothing.  I drank a couple cape-codders yesterday (the day before the race) and ate way too much dessert.  I got home at 10:00 pm from MA, and opened for the first time the "athlete guide".  After a quick glance, I set my alarm for 4:15 am and went to bed.  I woke up at 5:00 am, on my own, after realizing I had set my alarm for 4:15 pm.  I had written a list and put it in my bathroom sink so I wouldn't forget, you know the important things...goggles/wetsuit/bike/helmut.

I scrambled to gather these items and ran out the door only to realize I had no gas and no idea where I was going.  Gas stop, google map, and 45 minutes behind, I was on my way.  

My wetsuit, I found in my garage (this morning) and it was too big and pretty much did nothing for me as I swam in 55 degree water.  My bike...was my Dad's that he loaned me just yesterday and is from 1985 and I hadn't even tested it, not even sure how to change the gears.  But none of that mattered, because I can do anything.  Through my life I have been way more unprepared and to be honest, nothing can really shake me or make me nervous or "ruffle" me, after navigating my way through the last three years, a triathlon seems so trivial.  

And that is me.  I am that girl, that looks so amateur and unprepared, but somehow I pull it all together and cross the finish line.  Somehow I pass women who have all the "get up" and fancy equipment and look way more determined than me.  And I am smiling the entire way, and every single women I passed, I cheered on, because we are all in this together, and just like I don't know her story, she doesn't know mine.  

As I approached the last few hundred feet, I see my little superman, holding a sign, cheering on his Mom.  And my heart bursts with JOY, with GRATITUDE and I realize, I really can do ANYTHING...my life is awesome.  

Next year, I am going to train, because I swam well, I biked well, but then I ran like the wind.  No one passed me.  After 1/3 mile swim, 14.7 mile bike, I ran 3 miles in 21.59, a personal best, a 7:20 minute mile, something I have never done, even without swimming and biking first.  I came in 14th place out of 605 place for the run.  I didn't think it was possible for me to ever run so fast...but trying to keep up with my new "running partner", I have had to step it up a few (dozen) notches.  And  I have learned it is possible, as with anything in life.  

Tonight I over-indulged on a homemade brownie sunday, and Chase massaged my feet and gave me a "makeover" (I have absolutely no idea where this came from, but I liked it!)  Although he told me I did not look good, even after he put "glitter" in my hair, "painted" my teeth and put "lip shadow" on my eyes and lips.  

I go to bed happy and thankful for this beautiful life.  







1 comment:

  1. As always you make me proud, your incredible spirit and happy, "can do anything" attitude gets you through another triumph!! (To think I tired to talk you out of it, I should know better by now!!)

    Love,
    mom oxoxo

    ReplyDelete