Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Back from the Sunshine State



We are back! Alec and I enjoyed our escape to Florida more than I can even describe! We had a such a wonderful time, all that cancer stuff seemed so distant and far away. Luckily, the weather had warmed up just for us and although we had a couple of cold days, most were beautiful and above 70. We did a whole lot of nothing which, for a change was so nice! It takes us both a couple of days to unwind, as we are both always into something and feel the need to be busy, but after a couple days, not to worry we were about as relaxed as one could be!

We can not thank Katie and Jon and Jon's parents enough, they were so generous to let us stay in their beautiful place at Pompano Beach. They have such a nice set up, right on the water, with Jons boat docked only a few feet away. Alec could have used Jon's help catching some fish though! We spent hours chasing around sailfish and we think we may have had a bite or two, but got nothin! Except for the giant stick that Alec pulled in which we were convinced was a giant fish. Haha, woops!

It sure was hard to wake up Thursday morning to 10 degrees! But, like I said, we relaxed and Alec got the rest he needed. The first few days he would take long naps and slept a lot, but towards the end he felt great and did not need to sleep as much. He kept saying he was looking forward to coming home and starting the wood floors in the guest bedroom/office! I am like, "Seriously? You have issues."

But he has done just that and the room is finshed!

We were both thrilled that Scott Brown won. Not to talk politics, but there have been times were I get this pit in my stomach thinking about the government running health care. I believe that until you go through something like this, you really do not know how important your health care is. I am not sure of how much Alec has cost but I am sure it is hundreds of thousands of dollars. And he has had to pay maybe 500 with co-pays and meds. Also, since I have the "cadilac plan" when Alec resigned from his job on 12/30, I was able to call up HR and switch him over to my plan that very same day and he was covered under my plan by 3:00 pm. Not bad right? Also, I think about the future and my family. If the healthcare bill were to pass, what would it take to get a colonoscopy or mammography? There is no way waiting until we are 50 years old is acceptable. For women like me and my sisters who have family history on both sides (my aunt at 32, Nana, 2 Grandfathers) I want to be able to decide when and where and by whom. I do not want some government person telling me how to take care of myself and my family. Not to mention, only 15% of the country is un-insured, (and most of those are young people in their 20's and chose not to be) so why punish the 85% that is covered?
OK, I am off my soap box, but this past election was very, very important to me and I thought I would share why.

Back to reality this week...We have an appointment with his surgeon on 1/27 and will find out exactly when the surgery will be and also if the radiation and chemo has worked, (they will look to see if the tumor has shrunk). So please keep your fingers crossed and say an extra little prayer!

Thanks again to Jon and Kate for the best vacation ever! We owe you one!

Love,

Heather & ALec

No comments:

Post a Comment