Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Every Day A Little Better

It has been exactly a week since Alec had surgery and every day he is feeling a little better. He is still moving slowly and carefully and only from the couch, to the bed, to the bathroom, back to the bed. We have had 2 visits from the visiting nurses of Kennebunk and they were both very impressed with his progress. The nurse today could not believe how well he is doing.

Tonight we actually had chicken cordon bleu! (Thanks for the recipe Kendalle!)Although Alec only has small portions, he is eating and drinking plenty. He has lost a whopping 16 lbs since Monday. Luckily he was not a skinny guy had some weight to lose and I am sure he will not have a problem putting it back on. He is eating Auntie K's delicious brownies and a glass of milk right now. Thanks Auntie K!

We had a 16 mile run to do on Saturday, and boy was it tough! I guess I should not complain, because it did not rain like it did in Boston while Jill and Tina ran. But the wind was a killer, I ran against it for the entire 16 miles. I thought of the previous few days and it did not seem so hard after all that we had just been through.

Alec's mom and sister come babysit while I do some errands or while I am at work which is very helpful. Not that he can not be left alone, but he does have a little bell he rings when he needs something. (God I am ready to throw that thing out the window!) My mom came up for a quick visit Saturday night to Sunday and brought some yummy fish chowder. Sunday Alec and I "vegged out" all day. We have never been so lazy, we watched Hannah Montana marathon on Disney (yes, Hannah Montana, is it bad I am not 12 and still love that show? It really is funny).

I realized I never posted photos from the kitchen. It really looks amazing, we are so happy. We still have some work to do, I painted parts of it, but need to finish. Katie Mogul picked out the colors which I am thrilled with. Monroe Bisque and for the trim Bone White. Let me tell you, it is so nice having a friend who is an interior decorator. Colors are so hard for me to choose. She told me three colors she thought would go well with the counters and it narrowed my my choices down and the color is perfect. She also recommended the granite company we used which ended up being thousands of dollars cheaper than other companies. Another thing she recommended was cherry cabinets above the counters. (Once Alec is healed I will be putting him back to work as a cabinet installer). It is also great becuase anytime Alec and I have a disagreement about anything, I just say, "Fine, I will just ask Katie". And that settles that! "Well, Katie says..." he cant argue with a professional! I cant thank her enough!

This is what it looked like before we moved in...


Then this...


And now...






Not bad for a guy who was going through chemo/radiation huh? It is so nice to walk through the front door and see a beautiful kitchen, rather than an ugly, dark pantry. It is also nice to be able to cook and have my company sit at the breakfast bar instead of in the other room.

I will post some more photos when it is finished, but I wanted to share what Alec had accomplished while "out sick"!

Josh, (my 4 year old cousin) sent Alec a little friend. He built him and named him "Frank", (very original Josh!) I think he is so cute. He is ready to fish with Alec. Thanks Josh and Happy Birthday! Everyone must know how much Alec loves to fish. He has about 20 new fishing magazines, new fishing videos (from Adam who caught some big ones with Alec one night) and even some new lures from the Coogens! He is so ready for the Striper season.




"Frank"


Millie is just dying to eat Frank!!! (She would tear him up in seconds! She chews out the eyes first) I am keeping Frank in a safe place up high.

I am very excited for the warmer/sunny weather coming our way. I have noticed my tulips starting to sprout! (I am so thankful, I was starting to panic...a few years ago I planted the bulbs upside down). So embarrassing. Luckily my friend Brooke sent me "Gardening for Dummies" and my gardening friend Jean has taught me a thing or two about flowers!

Well, that's about all for now. We are still waiting to hear about the lymph nodes and a few other results, but as my mom likes to say "don't borrow any troubles". So we are trying not to worry. Just heal.

Thanks for all your support and prayers. We are so happy this part is over and Alec is doing so well.

Love to all,

Heather & Alec

1 comment:

  1. Your kitchen looks amazing! I cannot wait to see it in person, this Summer :)

    Frank is pretty darn cute... Sending hugs, kisses and west coast hippie good vibes to You & Alec.

    Love, Megan

    ReplyDelete