Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Git Er' Done

Alec had two big appointments this afternoon and we are now on track to tackle the lymphoma.

Dr. Tekvorian, (the lymphoma doctor) said he is ready to start Alec's chemo regimen as soon as Alec is. He wants to get started this Monday, but Alec is going to give it a week. I think it is something you need to mentally prepare for and a few days notice is just not enough. I literally said to Dr. T "Git Er Done" when talking about a start date. (Gosh I am such a redneck!) This treatment is called R-CHOP, and it stands for 5 different types of drugs that will be administered once every two weeks at MGH. Each session will last a few hours. Side effects are different than the last chemotherapy, but Dr. T is not too worried because Alec tolerated the last round so well. He may lose his hair, but that does not matter to a guy like Alec. He had such a close buzz cut last month he looked bald and I kinda liked it :) (Although my mom saw a photo with his head by the sink and thought he was the plumber!)

Dr. Shellito (his surgeon) also had a look at Alec and said he was pleased with his recovery. He gave the green light to move forward with Dr. T's chemo plan. (3 week recovery...not bad huh?) He also thinks that Dr. Allen (Alec's oncologist) is going to want to do 6 more months of chemo after the lymphoma treatment. This is all what we were expecting, 8 months just seems so far away! I think Alec was feeling a little down about this, but I tried to make him see the bright side...some people have to do this for years and years, whats another 8 months!? Not to mention, summer is coming and Alec (who is not working) will most likely be fishing on his boat every day. Not a bad way to spend the next 8 months!

Then he will need to have the surgery to reverse the illeostomy once all the chemo is done. That puts us at 10-11 months from now.

We knew this was going to be a long road, and the worst part is over. We just need to stay focused on the end result. One day at a time. I think it can be very overwhelming when you think of 8 more months of chemo, I mean, we see the "light" it is just far, far away!

Either way, we are happy now because we just devoured a chocolate cake and who isn't happy after eating a chocolate cake!??

Last weekend my sisters and I ran 20 miles in Portsmouth, NH, one more long run then 26.2! I am looking forward to April 19th and then not running for a long, long time!

We can not wait to see some of you in Southie this weekend and also Easter Sunday! I have already overdosed on jelly beans and peeps. Why do stores put Easter candy out in February!?? I guess for people like me.

We were once again spoiled by my friends and family with tons of food from Omaha (thanks mom and auntie K) and my Salve girls who gave us a bag of delicious Italian food and stonewall kitchen goodies. Thank you everyone! We are so grateful for everything!

I can not wait to see the SUN again! This rain is the pits. Driving is so scary in the rain and I am sick of wearing my rubber boots!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, enjoy the SUNSHINE, Easter candy, and time with family and friends.

We thank everyone for your prayers and support!

Love,

Heather, Alec, and Millie!

No comments:

Post a Comment