Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

If only summer could last forever...

(Minus that whole chemo thing)

Alec finished up his 2nd treatment last week. I tried to say something encouraging, like "wow, one month down, only 5 to go!". Don't think that was the type of encouragement he was looking for. I decided I should have just stuck with "one month down" and skipped the 5 more part. Oh well, I cant always say the right things.

So far so good. Alec is feeling OK, just trying to manage the nausea and other side effects. Dr. Allen said she could put him on different meds, but he would rather deal with a little nausea than go on even more pills, which would include steroids. (NOOOO!!!)

It has not stopped him from doing what he loves...fishing of course. His college friend Steve and his girlfriend were here visiting from San Diego and we spent the day out on the boat enjoying the sun and some 5-6 foot seas...yikes. I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous and a few of our passengers were feeling a little sea sick. Saturday night Alec and I went out for sushi in Portland. We both love sushi and ever since he was diagnosed he has not touched it, fearful that he may get sick. To say we over indulged would be an understatement. But it was so yummy and so worth it.

Amy and Keith came up on Sunday for some sun, more fishing and even bigger waves, so fun to hang out with them.

Summer is going by way too fast. I can not believe it is mid-July already. We are very much looking forward to our vacation up to Bar Harbor in August. My sisters and I rented a house in Southwest Harbor for a week, my parents and the Lombardos will also be there. We thought a house would be ideal since Alec may not be up for all the hikes, at least we have a house where we can sit outside by the ocean on lazy days.

This is an off week, no chemo. He is going to have to get the liver biopsy soon, I don't think he is too anxious to put that on the schedule. We are still rejoicing that his spine came back negative...thank you GOD!

A Feehan graduate and classmate of my sister Jill, Kristin Ettensohn, only 27 years old, passed away this week. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. She was in medical school and 2 years ago diagnosed herself with tongue cancer. So devastating to lose such an amazing young woman.

http://www.jjduffyfuneralhome.com/sitemaker/memsol.cgi?page=profile&section=info&user_id=229028

When I hear of news like this I get so angry and just ask why? I will add her to my list of beautiful people taken too early...along with Shirley Roome, Kyle Van De Giesen and now Kristin. I guess no one will know "why" until we get there.

Thank you for your prayers and support. Every day is truly a gift...

Love,

Heather, Alec and Millie

No comments:

Post a Comment