Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Ice Fishing 2014


Friday night we headed to Bangor for a weekend of ice fishing.  It is one of my most looked forward to weekends of winter.  I love being there.  We spend time with Alec's family, with his friends and doing the thing he loved to do most, FISH!

No...ice fishing was not his favorite type of fishing, but it was fishing.  

Being there...made me so happy but also so sad at the same time.  I imagine how much fun he would have had.  As I spent time with his friends, I think of all that he is missing...all that we are missing.  Drilling the holes, setting the traps, the campfire, the beers, the laughs, running out to different holes every time a flag went off.  He would have been in his glory.

I love his friends.  I am so blessed to know them.  They are wonderful...a reflection of Alec.  They love us.  They look out for us, they are incredible.  

As I skied up to John's parents camp early Saturday morning, I came upon father and son...Jack and John who had run out to the first flag of the weekend.  I watched as Jack leaned over the hole, and John directed him how to carefully set the hook, and pull the line up,  This image brought me to tears...how special, this moment, between father and son.  How sad I was that Chase will never have that with his Dad. 

But then, as the weekend went on, family and friends poured in, more flags popped, I looked up at the sky and thanked God for what I do have.  This.  A family, who would do anything for us.  Who loves like no other.  Friends, who come out to support us every single event.  Friends who adored Alec, who in turn adore us, treat us like family, friends who love us like they loved Alec.  

I am so thankful for his friend Wes, who puts this derby on every year and donates half the money to Chase's college fund.  What an incredible way to honor a friend.  

Last night when I arrived home, my heart overflowed with joy.  No, Chase does not have his Daddy.  But he has so many special people in his life.  He has his Godfather John, who can teach him how to set the hook and pull that line up.  He has John and Jaime's children, who are more like cousins than friends.  He has his Mimi and his two Aunties who are all part of Alec's past, who tell funny stories of when he was little, who make constant comparisons to Chase and his Dad.  As we sat around the dinner table with Mimi, Auntie Tam and Auntie Yaya, Chase filled right in for his Dad.  He made us laugh, he stole the show, he wins all our affection, he has captured our hearts.  

Blessed...I am.  Loved...we are.  



Chase and his Godfather.
Just hugging it out like guys do.  

Chase and the twins!

Mimi!

Sledding with Mimi...this is the life.

Pulling up the fish.

Alex and a pickerel.

Chase and Alex...Chase thought this fish needed a doctor.

Fish face.

Boys. Trouble. 

Momma and Chase.

Jack, the boy-iest boy I have ever met.  

Alec's family and the Martin's!

Running to the FLAG!

Snowmobiling!  



Chase and his future wife and mother in-law.

A bunch of Alec's childhood friends.  

Another FLAG!

The only thing missing in the picture is Alec.

Sister-in-laws for life!  



A bald eagle...AKA Alec, coming by to say Hello.



I love to cross country ski.  It is my winter escape.  I love being lost in the woods, mind on nothing else but the trail in front of me.  It was one other thing Alec and I loved to do together.  It is easy, free, and exercises my mind and body.  I have put more miles on my skis this year than ever before, each time it snows I am glad, fresh powder, news trails to blaze...more time with nature, God and Alec.






No comments:

Post a Comment