Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Lucky Ones.

Downton Abby.

I am not a fanatic, or even a regular viewer.  I watched the first season earlier this year when I had the flu and it was nice company but also helped me fall asleep.   I find it both fascinating, but then ridiculous.  Facinating by the way they lived, the money, the servants, the 20 something course meals.  But then ridiculous...what person really needs help getting ready for dinner? Or help taking off your robe?  Can you even imagine having your own personal servant bring you coffee and breakfast in bed!?  How wonderful!  I would ring my little bell and poof, my coffee and my hard boiled egg served on a silver platter.  Oh to dream!  Sometimes I dream of having an assistant, (or I guess in most homes he would be called a husband!) After heading out to shovel three times this week, cleaning the pellet stove, making 4 trips down my long driveway with 2 trash cans and 2 recycle bins...yeah, a husband/assistant would be pretty nice.  I would take Carson,  he would surly know how to get the job done. Closest to a servant or assistant I will ever have is my cleaning lady (God I love that women!).  I always say my top 3 best things I have ever done in my life, 1.) Marry Alec, 2.) Have a baby, 3.) Get a cleaning lady.  There truly is nothing better than never having to clean your own toilet...simply priceless.

Anyways, since everyone loves the show and always talking about it, I have been trying to catch an episode here and there.

And I happened to catch an episode last Sunday night.  I am always captivated when I am able to watch it.  Sunday night was no exception.  And the part that really got me, was where Mary, Tom and Matthews mother were sitting around talking about the love they had in their lives.  It caught my attention and I replayed it and wrote what they said down:

Mary:
I am not unhappy, I am just not quite ready to be happy.

Isobel (Matthews Mother)
When I got engaged, I was so in love with Reginald I was sick, I felt sick in love. Literally.
It seems so odd to think about now, it really does.

Tom: (Sybil's husband)
It was the same for me.
It was like I had gone mad or been hypnotized or something. For days for weeks, all I could think about was her.

Mary:
And me, I was standing outside in the snow and I didn't have a coat, and I wasn't cold, because all I was thinking was;  "he is going to propose, he is going to propose"

Isobel:
Well, aren't we the lucky ones.

And then their children walked in.

This scene made me smile, it made my heart fill with joy, it reminded me that those who have loved so deeply, even though we lost and suffered and our hearts are broken...in the end, well yes, we are the lucky ones.  We are the ones who know what it feels like.  We are the ones that can look up and thank God for what he sent us, and look forward to what is waiting for us on the other side.  We really are the lucky ones.







No comments:

Post a Comment