Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Where there is GREAT LOVE there are ALWAYS MIRACLES! -Willa Cather

Seeing how I keep talking about how we have SO MUCH to look forward to in 2011, I should probably officially announce exactly what I am referring to. Although most of you know, there are those who we don't get to see or talk to that often. I have been wanting to wait until each milestone before I posted, but after the last appointment, I feel pretty sure about things.


Alec and I are expecting a baby in May! We are absolutely thrilled, we have never felt such joy and happiness and now Alec has so much more to continue fighting for. We are going to be parents and I truly believe there is no greater gift. I have never felt more blessed and happy, it gives us Hope and helps us again believe in miracles.


This was not something we took lightly, we did not just wake up one morning and decide to have a baby. We prayed to God, talked to each other and sought advice from family and friends. In our hearts we knew it was the right decision. We have said since day one that nothing is going to stop us from living our lives to the fullest and we refuse to let cancer make these decisions for us.


Alec's doctors had advised us over a year ago to think about our future and children. When one goes through this much chemo, radiation and surgery, there is always a danger in conceiving a child and we were told to freeze his sperm. Fast forward to July of 2010, and we started the IVF cycle. To go through the IVF process and experience baby making from such a scientific point of view was just amazing. The doctor gave us a photo of the 2 embryos, just a couple clusters of cells, to think this is how life begins is incredible. I was in total awe of the entire process. Although having a baby through IVF does require an exact science, it comes down to one thing and thing only...a miracle. There was a waiting period of 10 days and while Alec was so calm and patient, I was not. I again turned to God and knew that if this was meant to be, it would be. On day 10, the nurse was to call Alec with the results. I went to pick him up from chemo that day and by the smile on his face when I walked in, I knew what the results were...a miracle indeed.


Alec and I are so thrilled and I know that this will forever change our lives in a way that is unimaginable. We can not wait. I believe in all my heart that we have made the best decision and that no matter what, our baby will be loved unconditionally. I know that Alec is going to be such an amazing father. He has every quality that you want in a Dad, he is over protective, sensitive, sweet, a little strict, patient, and has such a great sense of humor and a big heart with so much love to give. We decided not to find out whether its a boy or a girl. There are so few surprises in life that we think this will be the biggest and most exciting. He named the baby "Bam" (only until May) so rather than calling the baby "it" we call it Bam. Alec also chose the names and we both agreed on the name Chase Alexander for a boy and Annabelle Hope if its a girl! I always thought that I would want to wait until I saw the baby before naming it, because I thought "what if it doesn't look like a Chase?" But to be honest, I think all babies look the same I don't see myself thinking "oh he looks more like a Joe than a Chase".


I am very lucky in that I have had such an easy pregnancy with no morning sickness, no exhaustion, and no symptoms, to the point that I can hardly tell I am pregnant. That is until I tried on my Seven jeans the other night, the ones that used to be loose and I couldn't get them past my thighs! Alec stood there laughing at me. Not funny! OK, it is a little funny. Then Jill on Sunday saying "no you don't look fat at all, you look pregnant" but 10 minutes later she added "Gosh, I am afraid to see what my butt is going to look like when I am pregnant!" I was like...."uh what the heck is that supposed to mean! ??"


We are trying to enjoy the quiet weekends of not doing much since we know this will be the last time we can sleep in on a Sunday morning. The time has already flown by and May will be here before we know it. There are so many babies coming in 2011, which makes it a lot of fun, to be able to compare with all my girlfriends. Tina and Bob are also expecting their 2nd 5 days after my due date of 5/19!!! My parents will have 2 new grand babies in a matter of days!


Alec and I are very grateful to the team at Boston IVF who were absolutely amazing. I would recommend them to everyone and we thank them for helping us create our little miracle. I cant wait to go back (maybe summer 2012!?) and do it again.


We will continue fighting the good fight and Bam gives us all the more reason to never, never give up HOPE! Thank you all for the continued love, support and prayers!


Love always,


Heather, Alec, Millie and Bam :)

3 comments:

  1. Heather and Alec, I want to congratulate you on
    your miracle and blessing.You will see there is no greater love than a child sent from God. ( well maybe grandchildren).I love this saying "A baby is a bit of stardust blown from the hand of God" Continue to enjoy each day and your pregnancy as I know you will.Love and prayers, Linda Womack

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! I have been waiting for you to announce it on your blog! Soooooooooo happy for you two! You deserve the very best!! Can't wait to see if it is a boy or a girl!!!!! Glad you are feeling so great and don't feel bad....my butt is definitely getting the brunt of this pregnancy!!! Does this mean we are having girls???? hahaha.....all we need is healthy! So happy for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete